Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Frigid 1/2 Marathon.....

So this past Sunday I ventured out in 22 degree temperatures to run another 1/2 marathon. My heart wasn't at all in this one but it eventually got there. Something about race day excitement that pulls most people into it. Anyway, this whole adventure started when a friend of mine set out to make it her first marathon. You see they give a pretty cool medal. And when it is your first it is even better. This was my medal from last year.

I went to this race under trained and like I said not really wanting to do it and really really not wanting to do it after I saw the forecast. COLD, FRIGID COLD, like Alaska cold. In Oklahoma. But alas I had my own words thrown back at me "Suck it up buttercup". And off we went. It was a really uneventful race. They changed the course from what it was last year but it was still hilly!! I love hills though, I know I nuts, but really there is nothing like an accomplishment to see this big looming hill and know that you just ran up it.

These are the girls I started and finished with. I have ran along side these girls in the majority of my races for about 4 years now. The far one on the right, Becky, is a cancer survivor and I ran 18 races (number of Chemo weeks) for her last year ending with this race as a marathon. The girl 2nd from the left, Jessica, is her daughter and we ran all of those 18 races together. The girl on the far left, Christina, ran her first marathon back in April and we all ran with her but Becky, who unfortunately was sick due to a complication with her cancer.

I don't have a picture of Gena or Jaimie who both ran their first marathon there Sunday but they are the only reason I went ahead with the plan to go. I was originally supposed to run it as a marathon but the lack of time to train told me I shouldn't. But I was able to be there for them both at the end.

All in all it was a good race despite the cold weather. We pushed each other along and even today I don't feel as bad as I did. Of course the bling, bling didn't hurt either!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment