Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I had an itch.....

I tri, rather I do triathlons or have the past few years. They’re fun, hard work but rewarding. But I have a confession, I hate the swim portion. I’ve been told when I state this that I’m not the only one yet hundreds of people year after year train for anything ranging from sprint to Ironman distance triathlons. Stroke after stroke they swim trying to improve their endurance, their speed whatever it is all to be part of the triathlon realm. Eh, I would rather stick a thousand needles in my eye (not really that would hurt) but no I on the other hand avoid getting any training in the pool or open water unless I absolutely this year, which it turns out I don’t have to do too much swimming. Yea me! Seriously though, I’ve been putting a lot of thought into triathlons. Why do I continuously torture myself into thinking that I enjoy the swim, even remotely? I have such a mental block again it. I don’t want to get in the water to train. I would rather spend a day biking 5 hours or running 4 hours than swim for a measly 30 minutes. Really! So I should just stick with duathlons. The thought of training yourself to run then bike then run again is challenging to me. And the best part, I don’t have to swim and that gives me warm fuzzies.
Why is this relevant? Well, the other day I caught myself getting the itch to complete another half ironman distance in the fall, on my birthday to be exact. So I poked around to some of my fellow girls that trained with me last year asking them their plans. All of them said, nope not this year. But one reply that made me stop and think was, “No, I have other priorities this year”. Stopped me right away and made me go hmmmm. Don’t I have other priorities this year? Well yes I do. So why on earth would I want to through ironman training in? Crazy! Why do I want to do another half ironman? Because there are those that live, eat and breathe triathlons and think doing anything else is stupid? Or is it because I want to? Nope, not because I want to, in fact if you asked me right now, I have no desire to do another triathlon. At least not right now. No I have other goals and/or priorities this year. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m doing an Olympic triathlon in the fall as my “A” race. All other triathlons will be done as team liked planned. But I don’t have to swim until September, well I guess I best at least get in every once in a while to make sure I don’t drown…….priorities, priorities…..

No comments:

Post a Comment