Friday, November 8, 2013

Living Consciously

I want to consciously live my life. I’m a reactor by nature. I sometimes react before I think, shocker I know. But I’m not so happy about it. Sometimes I feel remorse, sometimes I don’t. But I so wish I was one that didn’t react. That just sat in the back, observing, listening…..so I’ve been thinking how I can better approach my life in this way?  

Conscience - the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action; self-knowledge; the complex of ethical and moral principles that controls or inhibits the actions or thoughts of an individual. 

con•sci•en•tious - controlled by or done according to one's inner sense of what is right; governed by conscience; careful and painstaking; particular; meticulous; scrupulous: conscientious application to the work at hand. 

dil•i•gence - constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken; persistent exertion of body or mind  source

One would hope we make conscience decisions every day. One would hope, I would hope. But as I look back over situations I find that I haven’t. How could I say I have when I’m back to almost my highest weight? Again, like a broken record. I don’t consciously choose to eat better at a restaurant. Instead you eat a whole basket of chips by yourself and then wonder why you weigh what you do.

There are so many things you could apply being conscience to. Making a conscience effort to choose your attitude, to be nice to someone, to make someone smile, to pray, to do _______.

 I never really looked at it this way. You could say that everything you do in life day in and day out needs to be a conscious decision. Impelling one toward right action. A lot of what we do daily is unconscious, second nature and that is fine. But the important stuff, the life changing stuff needs to be conscientious. Praying, food choices, exercising, attitude to yourself and others…..you catch my drift.

So as I sit and drink my tea looking out the window at the fall day, maybe I can consciously make decisions. Well I will make a conscious effort each and every day…..baby steps my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment